Volunteer with us
Headway Surrey is looking for volunteers to support all of our services. We have a variety of roles including brain injury education, communication, art, special interests, walking group, Drop In, Trusteeship, social media, administrative and fundraisin . If you are interested in offering your time and skills, either as a one off or regularly.
We are looking for volunteer counsellors, Year 4 or 3 (with Year 1 completed successfully within an accredited counselling course). To help Headway Surrey provide a short-term counselling service to survivors of acquired or traumatic brain injury (clients) and their carers / families living in Surrey and its borders.
Headway Surrey counselling service’s purpose is to offer more people this time limited specialist service to enable their long-term well-being.
The role will offer the counselling volunteer an opportunity to train with us and learn about brain injury and become a part of the Headway Surrey team.
The role is to work directly with the clients and carers / families of those affected by brain injury, offering short-term counselling sessions (six sessions, with the option to extend to eight), writing notes and report summaries. Attending staff meetings when required, undertaking in-house training. Supervision sessions provided (10 per year).
Please send your CV to Kat Howard: firstname.lastname@example.org
Workshop Volunteers and Helpers
With the following skills in:
- Helping people with worksheets using English, Maths, Reasoning type skills, playing board games and general conversation.
- Teaching, special needs, learning disabilities, speech and language, psychology and neurology to help with our Cognitive Rehab Sessions.
- People who can can give short interesting talks to our clients online on health and fitness, diet or any other interesting topics considered.
- Art or craft volunteers to help with sessions.
- Quiz Masters to help run a monthly Friday morning Quiz online, possibly part of a rota of people.
- Help with Special Interest Groups that we would like to establish. Sewing Bee, Knit and Natter, Shedway, Book Club, Creative Writing, Walking Group, Board Games Group, Chess Group, Film or Music Appreciation, car or bike groups, gardening.
We are always looking for:
- Trust fundraisers
- Community fundraisers
- General admin fundraisers
- Information and awareness volunteers at different venues.
What our volunteers say
David S 2017
Still volunteering in 2022.
"I have been volunteering at Headway for over 10 years. I enjoy assisting the clients in the various activities and outings and look forward to a big game of pool at lunchtime. Staff, clients and volunteers all contribute to the fun atmosphere."
Ian P 2017
Still volunteering in 2022.
"I started volunteering at the Centre in 2017. Initially my reason for volunteering was the chance to give something back to the community but it quickly became something much more than that.
Thursdays are spent with the Centre staff and other volunteers helping members with, amongst other things, cognitive, executive and life skills.
It is so rewarding to see the progress of members improving their skills over the weeks far beyond what might have been expected. This is all done in a caring environment where learning is made fun and enjoyable."
Headway Surrey is an equal opportunity employer. Employment is based solely on a person's merit, skills, experience and qualifications directly related to professional competence. Applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of disability, age, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships.
Do you like hosting Zoom sessions, perhaps you could volunteer and help?