Useful links and downloads
Headway UK is the UK wide umbrella body that lobbies parliament, produces booklets, Brain Injury ID Cards, and an Approved Solicitors Directory amongst other things for all the independent Headway Groups in the UK.
Please note that Headway Surrey is an independent charity in its own right, Registered charity 1046963, with its own Articles of Memorandum etc. We pay an annual fee to be affiliated to Headway UK, so that we can share best practice and benefit from a national voice to parliament and the media on acquired and traumatic brain injury.
Surrey Acquired Brain Injury Network (SABIN)
Headway Surrey is a member of the main Steering Committee.
The Children's Trust
Charity for under 18s acquired brain injury for children in the UK, based in Tadworth Surrey. Includes a transition to adulthood service.
QEF - Queen Elizabeth's Foundation for Disabled People
The Silverlining Charity
Social activities for brain injury survivors, holidays, lunches, walks.
The Stroke Association
Stroke is an emergency condition in which there is a disruption of blood supply to part of the brain, leading to brain injury.
There are two types of stroke:
- Ischemic stroke: A blood clot in a blood vessel causes a blockage of blood flow
- Haemorrhagic stroke: A weakened blood vessel bursts, causing blood to leak into the brain.
Financial Support Available in Surrey
If you are struggling financially, you may find help here.
Adult Social Care Benefits in Surrey
Find out about care and support for adults at the Surrey County Council website
Useful Welfare Benefit Factsheets
- Universal Credit (318KB PDF opens in a new window)
- Employment and Support Allowance (312 PDF opens in a new window)
- Statutory Sick Pay (258KB PDF opens in a new window)
- Attendance Allowance (289KB PDF opens in a new window)
- Personal Independence Payment Allowance (302 PDF opens in a new window)
- Carers Allowance (296KB PDF opens in a new window)
- Tips for completing benefits application forms (246KB PDF opens in a new window)
- Preparing for Welfare Benefits Assessment (311KB PDF opens in a new window)
- Appealing a benefits decision (253KB PDF opens in a new window)
Action for Carers
If you are looking after a friend or family member who couldn’t manage without your help, then these people can support you in different ways to that of Headway Surrey.
If you are struggling with your mental health to cope and need to talk, trained Shout Volunteers are here for you, day or night.
Support for mental health well-being.
Specialists in mental health crisis management.
If you feel you need support and cannot cope, the Samaritans can help you with guidance and support.
Stay ALive app
If you are feeling suicidal, the Stay ALive app has a dedicated Surrey section.
From time to time we will link to our most popular downloads in this section.
- Acquired Brain Injury poster (166KB PDF)
- Useful welfare benefit factsheets see Charges and referrals page