Action for Brain Injury Week and Hats for Headway Surrey
Acquired Brain Injury Awareness and Hats for Headway is between 17 and 23 May
Published on: Thu, May 20th 2021
How you can support Brain Injury Week
To coincide with Acquired Brain Injury week and Hats for Headway between 17 and 23 May, we have set up a Virgin Money Giving page where you can donate just £3 or more and send your photos to us.
Some Startling Statistics
A brain injury can happen to anyone at anytime and here are some startling statistics:
- According to the Department of Transport, hospital data shows that over 40% of cyclists suffer head injuries.
- There are significant risks in returning to the field of play after sustaining a concussion. If a player sustains another blow to the head before the brain has had a chance to recover, the damage can be exacerbated to the point that it can be – on rare occasions – fatal.
- Based on 2014 motorcycle accident statistics - during the 10 years up to 2013, 80% of motorcycle fatalities, involve a serious head injury.
- Results of a survey exploring the use of hard hats in the construction industry found those who experienced a head injury at work:
- 52% did not report an incident to their manager
- Just 6% sought medical attention to their head injury
- Source: The Brain Injury Charity