We need your help…
- In the cente supporting members - handwriting, drawing, reading, helping to answering questions, computer work, playing games (crossword, cards, scrabble, pool) and of course conversation.
- At home organising your own fundraising event - a coffee morning, sponsored walk, garage or jumble sale, raffle, tombola, quiz night, Christmas jumper day, mince pie morning, Sponsored Walk 13th May, Hats for Headway Day 17th May, 26th May Guildford Street Collection, 8th July Parachute jump - the list goes on and on!
- Out and about spreading information about Headway Surrey, telling friends and family, making sure there are leaflets in libraries, clinics and health centres.
- helping at awareness events, social media support, office admin support, gardening or as a Trustee.
- Special team of Volunteers for the Mayor of Guildford's Year, May 2018-2019. We are very excited to be one of Cllr Mike Parsons, chosen charities. There will be numerous events taking place throughout his official year and we will need help. Please send an expression of interest to us and we can keep you posted of opportunities. email@example.com
Volunteers in the Centre
Each client has individual abilities and so flexibility is as important as concentration and patience, but we have plenty of laughs along the way too.
Befriending is equally rewarding, it may be that you and your befriender are from different backgrounds but as long as you can strike up a rapport it is mutually beneficial. It is fun or I wouldn’t do it.
Simon G 2017
I have been volunteering at Headway for over 7 years. I enjoy assisting the clients in the various activities and outings and look forward to a big game of pool at lunchtime.
Staff, clients and volunteers all contribute to the fun atmosphere.
David S 2017
I started volunteering at the Centre about 5 months ago. Initially my reason for volunteering was the chance to give something back to the community but it quickly became something much more than that.
Thursdays are spent with the Centre staff and other volunteers helping members with, amongst other things, cognitive, executive and life skills.
It is so rewarding to see the progress of members improving their skills over the weeks far beyond what might have been expected. This is all done in a caring environment where learning is made fun and enjoyable.
Ian P 2017
What can I do?
Volunteering for Headway Surrey can involve anything from playing Scrabble, baking cakes to abseiling - from making a pot of tea to organising a barn dance! Whatever your skills and experience - we can find you a role.
How much time do I need?
Some of our volunteers come in regularly for 2 hours a week, one or two days a week and some may volunteer for just one day a year - you can spend as much or as little time as you like. All our volunteers are greatly valued and being a small, local organisation you can see the immediate results and benefits of your work.
Do I get any training?
Guidelines, information and support will be given to all volunteers - along with training where appropriate. Volunteering can be a very rewarding experience, giving you the opportunity to make new friends and gain new skills.
How can I start Volunteering?
If you feel you can make a difference please contact us for an informal chat.
Sue Freestone, for supporting members in the centre or befriending, firstname.lastname@example.org
Telephone: 01483 454433
Enquiries for volunteering with social media, admin support, work experience and fundraising, email@example.com
We are unable to offer any more work experience places to secondary school children during 2018.
Headway Surrey's Volunteers do...
Vital work, they take the
Opportunity to help in the
Local community, make a
Useful contribution, meet
New people, use their
Talents to help others gain
Enjoyment from new
Experiences in a
Donate to Headway Surrey
We rely on voluntary donations to continue to provide vital services to brain injury survivors and their families. There are many ways to make a donation. Click to learn more.